1. Learn about the regulation of palisades
Depending on the exteriors to be fenced, regulations may exist. This is often the case in condominiums, in particular, but the area may also be subject to town planning rules and the fence height is in principle limited. In other words, before scouring the palisade catalogs, we start by questioning the town hall, the trustee or the guardian about any obligations!
2. We think about the function of the palisade
Install a fence, okay, but why? There are generally three functions at the pose of a palisade, which can also be complementary: securing and protecting from view by isolating the garden from the outside, delimiting and structuring the land for a better definition of the space, or simply beautifying the garden. This, by offering more privacy, by creating nooks, by providing support for climbing plants, by adding aesthetic materials, etc.
3. We think maintenance and durability of the palisades
Some materials do not require any maintenance, others need to be regularly treated. Some are easy to clean, others are not, some age quickly, others less! Suffice to say that if the look and fence prices matter, one should not forget to take into account their durability over time and the maintenance necessary to make them resist as long as possible. Since when installing kilometers of palisades, we generally prefer to avoid having to repaint them every year.
4. We examine the method of placing palisades
In principle, a palisade is made up of posts planted in the ground, on which flexible or rigid panels are installed. These panels can be already ready and mounted on the posts, all you have to do is plant; or to compose by assembling blades and posts, in a tailor-made formula allowing to create quasi-personalized palisades, but longer to assemble, in particular when one chooses to put down palisades yourself without calling a professional.
5. We take into account the specificities of the terrain to choose our palisades
Well choose your fence, it is also to take into account the particular conditions of the ground. For example ? Difficult to install rigid panels on uneven terrain. In this case, a palisade made of flexible mesh will be more suitable. Same principle when you live in a region with special climatic conditions, whether it is frost in winter or sunshine in summer. Not to mention the seaside regions, in which the palisades are exposed to the salt of sea water in addition to the wind and the sun!
6. We examine the materials of the palisades
This time we are there, it's time to choose the good material for its palisades.
- Wooden palisades are the most traditional, with claustras like crosses for climbing plants, with louvre effect blades or woven for the natural side. This type of fence is elegant, authentic and offers good value for money, but must be maintained regularly to last.
- Aluminum palisades are design, modern, particularly resistant, durable and without particular maintenance. However, they must be asked by professionals or good handymen, and are more expensive to buy.
- The composite wood palisades offer the appearance of wood but are made of resin. More expensive than wooden ones, they are much more resistant, except for frost!
- PVC palisades are inexpensive, easy to maintain and install yourself, available in a wide variety of colors and styles… but also less durable since they are more quickly damaged than wood, composite or aluminum.
- Steel palisades offer a very contemporary and refined look. Be careful, the steel will rust and must therefore be treated. Corten steel, already oxidized, is more suitable for outdoor use. In both cases, the budget is higher than with a wooden palisade!
- Gabion palisades are a little different but trendy and accessible: these are wire structures filled with stones. They can even be mixed with other types of palisades!